Consultation on the Wakefield City Centre Masterplan
In an exciting new chapter for the city the Wakefield City Centre Masterplan is a project that aims to create a vibrant and attractive city centre environment for the future.
Led by award-winning practice Farrells (farrells.com) and supported by a multi-disciplinary consultancy team this plan is about creating a blueprint for the city’s future success.
The Wakefield City Centre Masterplan will complement and strengthen links with the retail area and historic heart of the city and contribute to the city’s wider regeneration ambitions, to promote the city as a key destination to invest, create, live, work and experience.
Acting as a blueprint for Wakefield City Centre, the Masterplan will guide the city's physical development and economic growth in the coming years. Its key aims and objectives include:
- Helping to address issues of decline in the retail and business sectors within the city centre
- Creating a positive reputation for the city as a desirable place to live, work and play
- Ensuring long-term benefits and a positive experience for visitors to the city centre, with accessibility for all
- Stimulating regeneration of the city centre through vibrant mixed-use development proposal
- Creating better coherence and physical connectivity across the city centre, with key developments and the retail core
- Enhancing the historic character and sense of local distinctiveness to enhance Wakefield's appeal
- Recognising the role of the cultural and creative sectors in stimulating economic growth and supporting these assets
- Recognising the role of the different communities of the city centre to ensure future development is consistent with their current and future needs
Wakefield BID actively encourages all city centre businesses to have their say on the consultations as they take place. We will also play an active role in liaising with Farrells on the plans giving input to ensure we create a blueprint for success.
For more information visit wakefieldmasterplan.com